Monday, February 26, 2007

Development of My Essay "Literary Analysis" 2 Paragraphs

In John Updike’s A&P the main character Sammy, despite his seemingly moral actions, his true intentions are sexually minded. His true intentions are reflected through his description of the girls, lack of acknowledgement for their mental capacity, and the way he assumes they are of higher class status. The way Sammy describes the three girls goes to show what his true intentions are. He is very detailed in his description of each girl. Most young men at Sammy’s age during the early sixty’s, just classified a girl as pretty or ugly. Sammy on the other hand, went into great detail, “She was a chunky kid, with a good tan and a sweet broad soft-looking can with those two crescents of white just under it, where the sun never seems to hit, at the top of the back of her legs” (pg 220). Most nineteen year olds would just say nice butt. His details were so great that while reading the story, I could visualize almost exactly what each girl looked like. He describes one girl as having “one of those chubby berry-faces, the lips all bunched together under her nose” (pg 220). The next girl he describes “as a tall one, with black hair that hadn’t quit frizzed right and one of these sunburns right across under the eyes and a chin that was to long” (pg 220). Because he goes into such immense detail, it leads me to believe that he had more on his mind than just a relationship of some sort. His descriptions of the girls were sexually minded. That is just the first to paragraphs of my story I still have alot to write. I feel as if I have a pretty good start and will be able to write a very good paper. All i have left is the conclusion and just going back and adding little things throughout the story to make it more clear. I can't wait to finish my story and to turn it in. I'm also hoping that our peer review session will help me too!!

No comments: